Friday, June 11, 2010

Chicken w/ Rosemary Sauce

Doesn’t look like it came out of a Cooking Light cook book? Well I promise you, it did. Chicken in a rosemary cream sauce that was served over some multi grain angel hair pasta. Looks good huh… Well it wasn’t!  Yeah, I said WASN"T.  Such a bummer. I guess I jinxed myself yesterday, because this one was a stinker. (At least the steamed artichokes were good.)  But before you stop reading, it did have all the potential to be great. In fact, with my simple change it became great. The recipe as is however was just too watery and a little blah. Go figure. So, I’ll give you the recipe as is, then I’ll tell you how I changed it up (after the fact unfortunately – hey, at least the leftovers will taste good.)

Since my book isn’t with me, I pulled this recipe from the Cooking Light Website. It calls for half-and-half, instead of heavy cream which the cookbook calls for.  (I was wondering what on earth cream was doing in a “healthy” cookbook?)

Chicken w/ Rosemary Sauce
1 teaspoon olive oil
4 (4-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup half-and-half

Preparation
Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side. (I removed the chicken at this point, let it rest & sliced it)Add green onions, wine, and rosemary; cook 30 seconds. Stir in broth; cook 2 minutes. Add half-and-half (I added the chicken back at this point); cook 2 minutes.
Calories: 183, Fat: 6g

So I had this thought before I even made the dish & I should have gone with it, but I shut out my own instincts and listened to the darn cookbook. Next time I will ditch the cream/half-and-half all together and replace it with some low fat cream cheese and a dash of seasoning. I tried it out after dinner was over and it was way better! You could even try a little thickener like cornstarch or flour. That simple little change would have turned this stinker into a winner. I guess a healthy pasta cream sauce that tastes good is possible. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment