Friday, April 30, 2010

You had me at Williams-Sonoma!


So the weekend’s adventure continues with Saturday… didn’t believe me when I said I was going to document the 29th year, well I am, at least for now. I guess I could get bored, busy, or just over it at anytime, but for now the keyboard clicks on…

What more can you ask for when you wake up in San Francisco than a warm, beautiful, slightly breezy day??? Actually, something to take care of the slight hangover I woke up with would be nice… but that’s nothing a diet coke, a little breakfast and some shopping in Union Square can’t take care of!

Ah yes, all the shopping possibilities… where to start? Two words, Williams-Sonoma! And not just any Williams-Sonoma, 4 stories of the ultimate kitchen store! (And we thought the 2 story one in Roseville one was awesome??) Reason #27 of why I adore my man… he finds as much enjoyment in this kitchen store galore as I do – well almost.

So somewhere around the second floor, right after we had finished drooling over our dream set of knives (the Shun Ken Onion 11-Piece Knife Block Set in case you are wondering), we are informed that there will be a guest chef from a local restaurant doing a cooking demo up in the large kitchen on the fourth floor. Sounds like fun… and you didn’t think free entertainment was possible in the big City???

Ever wonder what to do with that pretty blossom that grows on the top of your squash? Don’t throw it away! Just stuff it, batter it & toss it in the deep fryer. I mean come on, what doesn’t taste amazing filled with fresh mozzarella, parmesan & pistou (basically pesto sans pine nuts), then smothered in a perfect tempura batter and fried up to a perfect crispy masterpiece. I was sold even before he dressed it with a lovely balsamic reduction, a bit more of the pistou & a dash of Piment D'Espelette (a fancy Basque spice – similar to a mix of paprika & cayenne).

Ok, by now I’m drooling & kind of wishing we’d chosen a seat a little closer ‘cause they are a little slow passing out the tasting plates. But when they got to us, oh my goodness… PERFECTION! And I never in a million years would have thought I’d enjoy a squash blossom! The best part, he’s going to email me the recipe! Yay! Not only can I make them for my very own, but I’ll post it and you can give it whirl if you feel so inclined.


Oh and my favorite part of the day, the pink striped apron that Chad got for me. It’s beyond adorable! I’ll wear it when I try out the Sprinkles Cupcakes mix I bought!

No comments:

Post a Comment