Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Breakfast Casserole


Question: What to feed a house full of people for breakfast when you've had less than 4 hours of sleep?

Answer:  Something you prepared ahead of time!

This past weekend 11 of us headed up to Tahoe for a 30th B-Day celebration.  I like to have something warm and hearty for breakfast after a night of celebrating, but don't always feel up to spending hours in the kitchen that morning.  I tasted a Breakfast Casserole about a month ago & was determined to recreate it.  These things I knew for sure:

1.) It was prepared in advance & traveled well
2.) It contained those little diced breakfast potatoes you find in the freezer section
3.) The "secret" ingredient was cottage cheese

After a couple of failed attempts to retrieve the recipe, I went ahead and winged it.  And let me just say, I was MORE than pleased with the outcome!  I was so thrilled in fact that in my haste to taste it, I forgot to get a photo.  Lucky for me, my bestie was ready with iPhone in hand to snap a picture of the last pieces before they were totally devoured!

Here's the recipe as I made it.  It was outstanding and received rave reviews.  PS: if you are thinking about omiting the cottage cheese, don't!  No one will know it's in there, not even the picky eaters who "hate cottage cheese".

Breakfast Casserole
1 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup diced ham

8 eggs, lightly beaten
4 cups frozen diced potatoes
1 bunch green onions, green & whites chopped
1 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (plus additional for topping - Optional)
1 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (plus additional for topping - Optional)
1 1/2 cups small curd cottage cheese
1 tsp onion powder
salt & pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, and mix well.  Pour into a greased 9x13 pan.  Cover and refridgerate until ready to cook.  Place in 350 degree oven, covered, for 30 min.  Remove foil and continue cooking for 30 min.  Top with cheese for the last 10 min if desired.  Remove from oven and let set for 10 min before serving.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This was so yummy, so glad I got to eat it. Might be my new Christmas morning casserole.

    delishvida.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete