Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Philly Cheese Steak, sloppy joe style


I have to admit, I have a fondness for Sloppy Joes.  Mr. B however does not.  He's not a fan of savory foods that have any sort of sweet in them.  Last week when I saw THIS recipe over at Chef in Training, I had a sneaky suspicion that it would go over well at our house.  A Sloppy Joe style Philly Cheesesteak may be just the thing to win Mr. B over.  Turned out I was right.  It was rather tasty & took no time at all to prepare!  I used Jack Cheese for the cheese sauce, since it's what I had on hand, but I think I'll try something a little stronger next time. Maybe a sharp cheddar?  Mr. B loved it, so I think I'll keep it in my arsenal of quick weeknight dinners.  Give it a try & let me know what you think.  Enjoy!

Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes

From Chef in Training
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound ground beef
1 softball-sized onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped (I omitted - personal preference)
2 tablespoons steak sauce
1 cup beef stock
Salt and ground black pepper
                 *See Optional Additions Below
4 dinner rolls
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup milk
1 cup provolone, shredded
In large skillet over medium-high heat add the oil and then brown the ground beef, about 5-6 minutes. Add the onion and green pepper and cook another 3-4 minutes, until the vegetables start to get tender. Stir in the steak sauce and beef stock, season with salt and pepper, bring up to a bubble and cook about 2 minutes.

*To the meat/sauce I added - about 2 tsp ketchup, 1 tsp soy sauce, a couple shakes of worshire sauce & a splash of beer.

Split open rolls and remove most of the soft insides, leaving a bed to hold the meat mixture. Toast the rolls and set aside.

While the meat is cooking, melt the butter in a medium-size pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the flour and cook about 1 minute. Whisk in milk, bring up to a bubble and let thicken, about 2 minutes. Turn off heat and stir the cheese.

To serve, place a scoopful of the meat mixture onto the bottom of the rolls, then top with the cheese sauce and replace the top of the roll.


No comments:

Post a Comment