Monday, April 11, 2011

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes


Every time I go into the grocery store and see lemons prices at 2 for $1.00 I cringe!  Especially when I realize those things hardly ever have any juice in them.  Then I walk over to the organic section and see them priced at $1.38 each.  $1.38 for ONE lemon... are you KIDDING me???  Oh those lovely little lemons, they drive my mad!  Grocery store are definitely not the place to get lemons.

Imagine my delight when my bestie hands me a bag of BEAUTIFUL lemons freshly picked of her very own giant lemon tree!  Oh the joy one must feel having their very own lemon tree, I could only dream.  At least I can share in her good fortune!  So off to the kitchen to whip up something lemony and delicious!

I decided lemon ricotta pancakes were just what I was in the mood for.  So I perused the blog-o-sphere a bit and of course found a yummy looking recipe over at The Noble Pig.  I wish I would have had blue berries so I could have topped them with her Blue Berry Sauce!  It looks DEVINE!!

If you're in the mood for something a little different in your pancake routine give these a try.  The best part, they're low fat! But they are so delicious, you'll never know.  Enjoy!

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes

1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese (do not substitute fat-free)
1 large egg
2 large egg whites
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1 Tablespoon canola oil, more for brushing on the griddle/skillet

Preheat oven to 200 degrees.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In a medium bowl, whisk together ricotta, egg, egg whites, lemon juice, lemon zest and canola oil. Fold this mixture into the dry ingredients to make a thick batter.
Brush a nonstick skillet with canola oil and heat over medium-low. With a 1/4 cup measure, drop the batter onto the skillet, spreading it slightly.
Cook the pancakes until browned on the underside and beginning to set, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook until browned on the second side and cooked at the center, about two minutes longer.
Transfer the cooked pancakes to a baking sheet and place in the oven to keep warm. Brush the griddle or skillet with the remaining oil and repeat with remaining batter.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe how much lemons cost these days! It really is ridiculous. Looks like you make smart decisions when choosing your friends!

    ReplyDelete